Old March 3rd 04, 03:33 AM
Peter Kemp

On 03 Mar 2004 00:21:43 GMT, (BUFDRVR) wrote:

Are the M-117s still being manufactured, or is it *still* a case of
running down old stock?

Running down old stock, and by the looks of some of them, it clearly shows.
Someone must have thought Arc Light was going to last for 100 years. There are
still over 20,000 M-117 at Andersen alone. We're trying to drop as many as we
can since its cheaper to drop them (aircraft fuel included) than it is to
"de-mil" them.

Do they have a noticably better
CEP over a Mk.82/83, or are they significantly cheaper?

The mil dispersion on an M-117 is twice that of a Mk-82 (not sure about
Mk-83?), simply because there less aerodynamic (round like a pot bellied pig)
and manufactured before the Nixon administration.As far as price goes, I'd
imagine they're equal (in current dollars). An M-117 has a much thinner bomb
body, but around 50% more explosive filler...sounds like a "wash" on price, no?

Thanks for the didn't realise they had sooooo many in stock. Hmmm,
will we run out of M-117 before we run out of airframe life on the
Buffs? Interesting speculation, but I guess that's down to the
President and the other world leaders.

---
Peter Kemp

Life is short - drink faster