Old May 18th 04, 01:52 AM
Greg Copeland

On Mon, 17 May 2004 09:09:35 -0600, Newps wrote:

"Greg Copeland" wrote in message
news

One offered solution to the 33 grounded air tankers (assuming we're
talking about the same thing), is this
(http://www.evergreenaviation.com/supertanker/index.html) 747. It's
supposed to have 24,000 gallons of tank space.

One of the reasons the Forest Service is going to small Ag planes for
firebombing is turn around time. While 24,000 gallons is nice it does no
good if the plane has to then fly 45 minutes to an hour to a suitable
airport. Also, they don't drop water on fires. They drop retardant, it's
reddish colored goo that gets everywhere on the plane behind where it drops
out. There is no way a 747 could be made to work economically.

Very interesting stuff.

Sadly, I see I'm constantly "Mr Late" with the links here. Just
the same, thanks for the followup.