Old July 5th 04, 07:07 AM
Fred the Red Shirt

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message hlink.net...
"Mike Dargan" wrote in message

The Republicans and their junior college instructor lackey's have a long
history of belittling those who served well while exaggerating the
military records of their, more prudent, candidates.

Dunno about a long history, but that was evident in 2000.

Consider also how the current administration ignores the only combat
veteran serving in the cabinet.

Powell should have made it clear to Bush that he was no longer
serving under Rumsfeld--or at least made that clear to Rumsfeld
and Cheney.

Can anyone remember the 1972 election? During WWII Richard Nixon ran a
Navy fruit drink stand at some South Pacific backwater supply base while
George McGovern was leading groups of B24s in daylight attacks on Nazi
Europe. AFter the war McGovern used the GI Bill to get a Ph.D., while
Nixon used slush funds to finance red baiting.

By election time in 1972 the Republican propaganda machine convinced the
weak minded and ignorant that Nixon was the warrior and McGovern the

dodger.

They're trying to pull the same trick in 2004.

I can remember the 1972 election, but I sure don't remember what you
described. I think you fabricated it.

As I recall it was the Democrats who portrayed Nixon as a warrior and
both portrayed McGovern as a 'peacenik'.

I don't recall anyone portraying McGovern as a dodger.

I also thought that McGovern flew B-25s.

But just look back at the Republican primaries campaign from 2000.
The Bush camp tried to make McCain out to be mentally unstable. Now
we know that Bush thinks he's on a mission from God. Who was the
real nutcase?

--

FF