Old February 4th 06, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Can all HSI's be slaved -- should they be?

On 3-Feb-2006, ktbr wrote:

You get a lot more "bang" (and the best of both worlds) with the
venerable King KX-155 LOC/GS equipment and a handheld GPS for backup
and situational awareness at fraction of the cost. These radios are
repairable and have the potential to last the average Joe IFR pilot
for a lifetime of flying.... or until the GPS units become more
affordable to people besides John Travolta. :^)

Or until the FAA, in a cost-saving move, starts decommissioning VORs.
Actually, I'm about as "old school:" as they come, having earned my IR more
than 30 years ago, but I have to say that I can hold a better course using a
GPS moving map display than an HSI display. But using the map you do lose a
sense of wind correction.
--
-Elliott Drucker