Old March 23rd 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Crash Lander[_1_]

Default Once more into the unknown.

Had another flight yesterday. Had to post-pone it for 2 hours due to fog,
but once it cleared we had a 15kt breeze straight down 35. That meant using
the opposite runway to what I'm used to. Only used it once or twice before.
Did 2 circuits with my instructor, and then 6 on my own, plus 1 go around.
Total time was 1.2hrs. Approaches were much better this time, however, the
go around was the result of coming in too high. I crept up to about 1100ft
in the circuit whilst on base, so no real excuse for it. I tried to slip to
lose altitude on final, but am still over cautious doing slips and didn't
hold it long enough to lose enough height. Once on the ground, my instructor
asked me what happened to cause the go around. I told her and she said it
was a good decision to go around, rather than try and land and land too
long, without enough room to stop or get back up again. I've said I want to
do more work on slips again next week. So now, I only need 0.3hrs to
complete my 3 hrs required circuits solo, then we can move on in the
syllabus. Sky was a bit hazy, and I was told to keep an extra careful eye
out because the Avalon airshow is on and their active airspace starts at the
northern end of rwy 35 at 1500ft.
Next lesson, once the balance of my required solo is knocked off, we'll do
more forced landing practice, and some slips at my request. Will want to do
some more steep turns too. Gotta get my guts used to those babies!
Total time now: 13.4hrs.
Total Takeoffs: 74 (done by me)
Total Landings: 72 (done by me)
Crash Lander