Old February 10th 08, 10:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

Default Brakes?

On Feb 10, 1:15 am, WingFlaps wrote:
On Feb 10, 5:15 pm, wrote:

WingFlaps wrote:
Simple question, when refuelling should brakes be on or off (for a
light plane)? I've been told both answers with logical reasons for
both. What should I do???

If you find yourself chasing the airplane across the ramp, the brakes
should probably be on.

Parking brakes shouldn't be used for extended periods; that's what
chokes are for.

I'm asking about refuelling, not parking per se.

Cheers

I fueled light planes dozens of times, at dozens of airports. I've
never used the parking brake ever. If the pump happens to be on an
incline, I'll either find chocks, or once I had my student hold the
plane by the prop while I fueled because we couldn't find any chocks
laying around.