Old April 9th 05, 10:44 PM
Peter Clark

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:13:46 GMT, Greg Esres
wrote:

Our flight school has received a C182 with a G1000. The checkout
requirements are going to be 5 hours VFR and an additional 5.6 hours
for IFR pilots. Oh, and about 6 hours of ground prior to that. Let's
see, 10.6 hours * $210/hour = $2,226 for the flying, plus $180 for the
ground, for a grand total of $2,406.

Does anyone find this excessive?

If you already know the 182, you can probably get that down to 1.5
hours VFR. It took me around 5 hours to get the system down for IFR
(partial panel, approaches, futzing around with flight plans, etc), so
IMO (and from what our instructors say) about 6-7 hours is the average
to get used to the system and flying approaches with it. Obviously,
YMMV.