Old September 9th 04, 10:16 AM
Bill Gribble

Mark James Boyd writes
On another subject, can someone describe the 45/V type approach that
I've heard is used in some countries?

Not sure what a "V type" is, but the circuit I've been taught to fly
here in the UK, in contrast to what I understand to be the conventional
right-angled power circuit, includes a "diagonal leg" flown between the
downwind and base...

____
/ |
/ v
| ====

The specific purpose, as I understand it, is to keep the intended
landing point in sight of the pilot at all times enabling the pilot to
continually asses the angle between himself and the landing area and
thus ensure he stays within reach, cutting (or at least minimising) the
risk of an undershoot.

Essentially, you fly your downwind leg as normal, and as the landing
area begins to disappear under the nearside wing, you turn 45 degrees in
and fly the diagonal leg. At the appropriate point along the diagonal
you turn onto and fly the base then make your final turn and land as
normal.

The length of the diagonal leg, the point you turn onto it, and how far
back you go before turning onto base is entirely dependent upon
conditions and circumstance. Though presumably that's true of any glider
pattern, as we don't generally have the option of hitting the throttle
to fix a balls up?

--
Bill Gribble

| http://www.ingenuitytest.co.uk |