Old December 22nd 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

Default Start Anywhere

Just a quick note:

As a new contest pilot (first Regionals will be #12 in Warner Springs
in April), I really like the 'start anywhere' idea. Some more
experienced folk might not like it as much because it seems less-
competitive or a bit more complex - but its been beaten into me how
dangerous gaggle-flying can be in a contest, ESPECIALLY near the
start. As a newbie it takes a lot of pressure off if I can just float
away from the main gaggle and find another acceptable thermal - who
knows, it may be an even better one than the group is using?
Regardless of whether it is, in fact, better - I get to make the
choice myself and I get all the "credit" (or "blame" and shame) for
making that call in terms of distance and scoring. Its nice to know
that i'm going to start my flight with a lot of options open to me...

I'll be curious to see how it plays out in my actual contest starts
this year!

Take care,

--Noel