Old January 21st 17, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Terry Pitts

Default Aerobatic Two Seat Gliders?

There was a recent thread about inexpensive two seat gliders. I made me wonder how crazy I might be.

I'd like to buy a two seat glider that could be used for beginner to intermediate-ish aerobatics. Fun for me, perhaps someone might want to do some aerobatics for a flight review instead of an hour in a thermal. Etc.

Some options include:

L-23
L-13AC
Kr-03a
G-103 (Some)
SF-34
SZD 50-3
What else?

Way out of my price range: ASK-21. Way beyond my needs or desires: MDM-1 Fox (Though I've enjoyed it) and Perkoz.

I am in Germany at the moment. I will return to the USA in the not too distant future. Right now there is a Krosno for sale in Poland. There's a Puchacz for sale in Germany. The Krosno is much cheaper (12,500 Euro, plus open trailer) than the Puchacz (30,000 Euro plus open trailer). The Krosno is back on the market after a prospective buyer couldn't get financing.

People I trust have advised me to buy or run from both of these!

In some ways buying an existing glider in the USA is a better idea since all the issues associated with emigration are resolved - shipping, instruments, registration, etc.

Buing a glider in the UK would solve the instrument units issue. Something in Canada would even solve the shipping issue, but is hard for me to get to for a weekend visit.

There's an L-13AC on W&W at a price I think is too high. At least for my budget.

I realize an Export Certificate of Airworthiness is required. Ditto with deregistration with the local civil aviation authority, etc.

If I choose to import something, it has to arrive in the USA at a total cost less than or equal to what it's worth there or it makes little/no sense.

A practical question - how do you remove painted on registration markings?

Not really a rhetorical question - am I out of my mind? Looking for the collective wisdom/knowledge of the group...

Terry

PS the Dollar is about ten percent better against the Euro than a year ago.