Old May 10th 05, 06:19 PM

Default The Air Plan

Once upon a time I came across an Air Plan from a USN aircraft carrier,
and there are some things I cannot understand:

Of course, mission abbreviations like DCA, SEAD, AEW, ULT or CSAR, are
quite common for people who are interested in military aviation for
some time, but could somebody, please, tell me are the following?:
- 2VX
- 4VX
(This is about F/A-18 and F-14 I've read somewhere these are
"self-escort" missions? What kind of self-defense - BVR or Sidewinders
only?)
- RED
- RED LD
(I guess it has something to do with strike missions - does LD mean
"low drag" or "laser designated"? Are 2VX/4VX and RED somehow connected
- I mean the latter are strikers and the former are escort?)
- TERF
(Concerning helos. Looks like "terrain flight" - but over the sea???)
- PG/ASR
(PG is "plane guard", but ASR?)

Another thing: do you have any idea what this black triangles in some
places of the plan mean? From what I've read, they may something with
flight deck readiness status or fueling?

It looked a bit similar for a SH-60F helo that was airborne for a whole
day - there were "filled" (black) and "empty" (white) diamonds on his
line in the Air Plan - can they mean hot refuelings or crew exchanges?

Best regards,

Jacek