Old October 13th 17, 08:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Glider near miss with Airliner (emergency climb) near Chicago yesterday?

On Friday, October 13, 2017 at 5:22:24 AM UTC-7, Rich Owen wrote:
All military aircraft have transponders and we do show up on on civilian equipment.

In my experience, transponders in F- things don't seem to be the norm, Rich..

Half an hour ago a B-1 and two F-16s roared past my house at a reasonably fast pace. One of the fighters was yanking and banking at less than 1000' AGL, quite legal in the MOA, part of the R2508 Complex (2508 user handbook link below). Looked like they went overhead Tehachapi Municipal, a few miles from the glider operation at Mountain Valley Airport, apparently on their way to Edwards AFB for a Chuck Yeager supersonic anniversary.

The responsibility to see and avoid is on all of us. If you fly in heavily trafficked areas, use Mode C or better and turn the thing on. I can think of one excuse for a SLSP flying near ORD not to be at least squawking 1202: Not accepting the second word in this paragraph.
Jim

http://www.edwards.af.mil/Portals/50...-21-080711-260