Old April 17th 05, 08:38 PM
Peter R.

Chris wrote:

Peter, being in the UK it would be helpful to see the A/FD page you refer
too until I get there and buy my own. I was planning to go to the airport
and visit the Falls from there.

Here's the graphic of what you need to do. I don't have the text
description (I had the graphic in my flight notebook at home, but the
latest A/FD is in my aircraft). All it basically reads is this:

Remain at 3,500 MSL or above, self announce your position in the depicted
pattern on a discreet frequency (I included it on the graphic at the bottom
left, but please verify), and fly the recommended pattern in the graphic.

http://home.twcny.rr.com/thericcs1/backup/NFScenic1.jpg

If you want to see the falls *after* departing Niagara Falls airport, ask
of the tower controller your preference to circle above the airport until
you reach 3,500 MSL, since the airport is only about 3 NM from the falls.

If you want to see the falls first, mention this to Buffalo Approach, who
will give you flight following until you are near, and then turn you loose
to switch frequencies. Once you are finished your sight seeing, you can
break away from the pattern by flying north or south of IAG to lose the
2,000 or so feet needed to enter the TPA.

Here are some pictures from the first over-falls trip I made, taken three
years ago, to give you a taste of what you will be in for:

http://home.twcny.rr.com/thericcs1/flights/nfalls.htm

I did anticipate that there might be post
9/11 restrictions on sightseeing.

No, these restrictions have nothing to do with 9/11. They are simply a
method to keep the fixed-wing sight see-ers separated from the scenic
helicopter flights. If you were to fly over the Grand Canyon, there would
be similar restrictions for the same reasons, too.

About the only remnants of 9/11 on the east US coast is the ADIZ
surrounding Washington, DC, and the standing NOTAM about loitering over
powerplants.

--
Peter