Old January 5th 06, 04:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default aviation lingo question

The Option Approach is used for training. My flight instructor will call for an
option when he does not want me to know what kind of landing I'll be making. For
example, when I'm close to landing he may tell me "there is a 747 on the runway
go around". That way I get to practice emergence procedure in a more realistic
setting.

For aircraft-tower communications, you might look at Aeronautical Information
Manual http://www.faa.gov/ATpubs/AIM/. I world recommend Chapter 4 Section 2.
Radio Communications Phraseology and Techniques.

George
If you request flight following, can you really "slip the surly bonds of earth"?
On 5 Jan 2006 07:01:51 -0800, wrote:

Hi,

I am using a scanner to listen to my local airport and I often hear
"clear the option". Does this mean "you are clear to take-off"?

Also - were could I look up the usage & rules used for aircraft-tower
communacations?

Thanks,

VS