Old April 2nd 05, 12:47 AM
Ernest Christley

Frank van der Hulst wrote:

Why bother?

*With* self-powered devices, it gives options not available via wired
systems.

Even if you have to run 12V to it, in a metal airplane that will only be
one wire and one connection. Assuming they can build a wireless device
that can stand up to typical airplane abuse for a while*, this would
make for a much simpler and safer installation. At these power levels,
the EMI issue is a red herring that would be easily defeated with a
$0.98 roll of aluminum foil, and once defeated on the ground the
problem isn't likely to pop back up in flight (like loose cabling will).

IMHO

*It seems that your standard store bought router is designed to die
after a few years. I wouldn't trust this quality control with my
comfort. I barely trust it with my ability to read this newsgroup.

--
This is by far the hardest lesson about freedom. It goes against
instinct, and morality, to just sit back and watch people make