Old December 27th 14, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]

Default Is Glideplan still relevant?

I concur with John Seaborn, John Cochrane and the rest...

GLIDEPLAN is a valuable tool and the only practical way to make up paper maps for the glider cockpit with landout/TPs marked up. Even with my moving map on a Vertica V2 and LK8000, the paper maps provides outstanding situational awareness and pre-flight guidance to task planning (backup to electronics is also a good idea).

With Lynn Alley's geo-referenced jpg files(http://www.soaringdata.info/aviation/sectionalTab.html), Matt Heron doesn't have to spend the tedious amount of work to stitch together custom regions. Lynn, I hope that maintaining a reasonable selection of sectional regions and custom areas doesn't consume too much time. If a small subscription service to a web site is needed, I would subscribe.

BTW, don't plan on "whipping up" a custom map with tailored font sizes, colored waypoints and the such in 15-20 minutes. Every year, I have to relearn the GLIDEPLAN user interface well enough to customize my map. There are enough choices for things like map scale and the number/location of pages to print... that it takes me an hour or two to get it right. If I used the program regularly, this wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks for you work Matt... I hope that GLIDEPLAN lives on.

Walt Rogers WX