Old September 10th 03, 11:31 AM
John Cook

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 01:08:11 GMT, "Steven D. Litvintchouk"
wrote:

[I'm a layperson at this, so please excuse this naive question.]

What does all that external ECM that they keep adding on to older
aircraft do to their aerodynamics? I look at a B-52 with its EVS
turrets sticking out of its nose and all those ECM antennas and other
crap sticking out of its fuselage. Or an F-111 "Wild Weasel" with that
pod high on its rudder.

What does that do to drag, handling, airspeed, etc.?

I also seem to remember that the G & H models of the B-52 had its whole
nose lengthened to accomodate a bigger radar or something (as compared
with the older B-52 models). That's in addition to putting an insert in
the tail to lengthen the tail behind the rudder. What did all those
modifications do to the B-52's aerodynamics?

The drag induced has found to be much less than that induced by a
large missile hole ;-),.

Sorry I couldn't resist
John Cook

Any spelling mistakes/grammatic errors are there purely to annoy. All
opinions are mine, not TAFE's however much they beg me for them.

Email Address :-

Eurofighter Website :-
http://www.eurofighter-typhoon.co.uk