Old December 29th 03, 04:20 AM

Victor wrote:
Will be flying to Ruidoso,NM I have flown mostly in flat south Texas.
And will be flying to Ruidoso later continuing to Las Vegas.

Well, Sierra Blanca Airport (SRR) is the public airport at Ruidoso. But
as Blanche pointed out you get into mountain flying area with all the
joy (some of it I learned the hard way ;*), such as leaning, strong
up/down drafts, waves and rotors, ...
Ice shouldn't be too much of a factor if you fly VFR. Typically the NM
air is rather dry (with exceptions, of course). Also, before departing,
if you remove potential snow from the plane and put the plane in the
sun, the ice will often just disappear (sublimate) rather quickly.

Also the MOAs above Ruidoso shouldn't be a factor if you stay below
12500ft MSL (except for the TALON LOW MOA southwest of Ruidoso which
starts at 300AGL).

Call ahead to check for snow on the rundway and have your survival gear
ready - there is awful lot of space in the Land of Enchantment ;*).

Chris