Old September 22nd 20, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Refinishing ASW24

On Tuesday, September 22, 2020 at 11:45:06 AM UTC-4, Colin Roney wrote:
I humbly stand corrected! Clearly the `Juice of the Caribbean Gods`is far
superior to a rotten old Scottish Malt Whisky. Sounds like you`ve achieved
the impossible. Well done. I presume the glider is now up for sale.
At 22:20 20 September 2020, wrote:
On Sunday, September 20, 2020 at 4:18:06 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
How about posting some pictures, Bob. Of the '24, not you... :-D=20
=20
Dan
On 9/20/2020 2:09 PM, wrote:=20
On Monday, September 7, 2020 at 5:40:31 PM UTC-4,

=
wrote:=20
I have been working on the horizontal stab and the two elevators for

t=
he past two weeks. I have never seen such difficult gel coat to remove. I
a=
m no rookie at gel coat, have done many boats and a bit of glider repair,
b=
ut this is a beast to remove. It took me six full days to remove the gel
co=
at from the stab. Just today I did one elevator and will do the other
tomor=
row.=20
I am bringing it back up with acrylic urethane, so far so good, just

a=
lot of work and a few drinks of rum. Bob=20
After countless hours of removing gel coat and filling , priming,

sandi=
ng, sanding, sanding and then painting only to sand down, repaint and

sand
=
to 3000, I have finished! The scotch did not budge the gel coat, my
fingers=
need rest, and my spray gun is finally clean again. I spent the last day
b=
uffing and doing a bit of sanding and buffing again. Now comes the fun
part=
, putting it back together so my wife can have her ASW24 back.
--=20
Dan, 5J

Dan, let me see what I can do, Eileen is nagging me to death about not
bein=
g able to fly her 24. Just today she told me that I should re surface the
e=
ntire glider, I need more rum. Bob

Colin, I am so glad that you have been transformed from that old nasty scotch whiskey to the juice of the Caribbean Gods..
The 24 is not for sale, it belongs to my wife and I would never be allowed in the house again if I sold her favorite glider.