Old May 28th 04, 04:37 PM
John Mullen

"Steven James Forsberg" wrote in message
: I work worldwide and have to deal with such frequently. One guide I

have
: used for years is "Kiss, Bow or Shake Hands: How to do Business in 60
: Countries". Aside from providing useful info on business and personal
: customs, it also discusses cultural orientation such as cognitive
: styles. Let me quote from their section on Saudi Arabia (since they
: don't have an 'Iraq' section):
: "Saudis find it difficult to accept any outside information that does
: not reflect Islamic values... Generally, a Saudi's faith in Islamic
: ideologies shapes the truth, but it is also affected by the immediate
: feelings of the participants. Objective facts seldom overrule one's
: thinking."

Of course the term "cognitive dissonance" was originally used to
describe behaviors manifested by "modern/western" people, but it certainly
has its place in many if not all cultures.
The above says that "objective facts" are overruled by the Saudis
"faith" and that "truth" is subjective. Funny, I'd swear that there are a
lot of fervent Christains out there who are just the same way...

Exactly. Current events must surely underline this if anyone was ever in any
doubt!

John