Old March 8th 21, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default Hans Werner Grosse died at 98

First I heard was on the Ten Cate podcast; HWG was a great
pilot and a strong character; I knew him somewhat from
several contests.
Hans-Werner was a fitness fiend; after the 1972 MIT symposium on motorless flight, there was a BBQ party on the Buzzards Bay beach for authors etc.; HWG and I were at the party. There was a bonfire, much appreciated on a cold and windy Sept. evening, and most of us were quaffing beer close to the fire.
HWG removed his clothes revealing swimming trunks, and dove into the harbour and swam around for 20mins!
JMF