Old January 17th 11, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott[_7_]

Default Mandating Radios? (WAS: Another midair in the pattern)

On 1-17-2011 00:59, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 1/16/2011 4:50 AM, Scott wrote:
On 1-16-2011 04:05, Eric Greenwell wrote:

Are you a troll?

Absolutely not. Just a freedom loving American who doesn't need
government to grow ever bigger and dictate every aspect of my life. I
consider myself to be responsible enough to watch out for myself.
Powered planes (modern ones with electrical systems) almost always have
radios and they sometimes meet in midair. I think they call these events
'accidents', same as car crashes. Do cars need radios installed so
drivers can communicate their every move to each other? If everyone
cries to the government to "Please, save us!" they certainly will step
up to the task. I'm not looking for a Nanny State...

OK, just that it normally takes at least a $2000 transponder to trigger
a broad anti-government rant on this group, so when someone goes
ballistic over the suggestion that $200 radio might enhance everyone's
survival rate, I start to wonder if a troll has dropped in.

Who went ballistic? I must have missed that one.