Old June 8th 04, 10:28 AM
Cub Driver

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 22:31:54 +0100, "Paul J. Adam"
wrote:

Did he bail early? Alleged, unproven, but even if he did so did lots of
other folks,

Well, he was transferred to inactive status in October 1973, and
formally discharged in November 1974. So what appears to have happened
is that he swapped six months of Guard-for-training for a year on
inactive reserve. In the normal course of events he would have
finished his hitch in May 1974.

He served the equivalent of 25 months on active service ("active duty
for training") over the course of six and one-half years. As noted,
that was a month more than I spent in the army, and I would spit in
the eye of anyone, MOH winner included, who told me I didn't serve.
Damn straight I did!

Bush's service is neither mysterious nor particularly interesting. The
first four years were exemplary, the last two perfunctory. Evidently
what happened was twofold: a) the war was winding down, and with it
the Guard's need for him and his need for the Guard; and b) the Guard
was no longer flying the F-102A, and it was worth nobody's time to
train him in another aircraft.

www.warbirdforum.com/bushf102.htm

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)