View Single Post
Old October 8th 16, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711
external usenet poster

Default US Competition Pilot Poll and Election

On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 11:16:44 AM UTC-6, Tango Eight wrote:
On Saturday, October 8, 2016 at 11:47:43 AM UTC-4, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

Evan,

Let's forget for a moment about tasking philosophy. I think, the main point that Sean brings, and I am interested in, is why we can't have a question in pilots' opinion poll that simply asks if pilots want IGC rules or our current rules. It is not difficult to include such a question in the opinion poll and have a vote. Why argue about it? It is that simple.

Andrzej

I'm not opposed to this. But there someone has to publish a lot of background info so that well informed choices can be made. Sean, bless his heart, isn't dong a very good job of that right now (because with him what isn't personal is some dark conspiracy), so maybe *you* can give it a try.

"What is the compelling case to support a switch to FAI contest rules in the US?"

I'm all ears. If the case is truly compelling and my previously stated concerns are in fact non-issues, then I'll even vote for it.

best,
Evan

Yes, Evan, I am also in agreement. Would like to see a side by side comparison of the FAI rules to ours including the scoring system used with examples. Questions asking others to supply the answers don't produce reasonable results. Doing a RAS search on "FAI" bring's back several years of discussions. Past members of the RC keep trying to explain to no avail.

Sean, along with those that wish the change to FAI rules, can easily get a email list from the SSA for all the current entrants. Put it all together with full disclosure, showing the differences, financial gains or losses, new/saved costs and who will do all this work, time required, scoring program used, etc., would be welcome as this keeps going on year after year on RAS..

I, for one, would like to see a well thought out plan showing what this change would bring. It should be done by those wishing this change. If it would foster and promote our sport, I also would vote for it.

Our IGC rep, on a side note, has paid ALL his expenses for the IGC meetings he has ever attended. He has freely given his time. He gets a standing ovation at the Seniors for all the time he has given us. Been a crew for Dick Butler, etc. Just a overall great guy. Also, a friendly comment by a "World Class Pilot" in Nephi is much different than a complaint which again has never been documented as said.

We are a small group, and as has been stated, some do travel great distances, change is require, as the internet makes us look larger than we really are. Costs have become prohibited for many. But what we need are well, thought out plans which show that change would be of benefit and then allow the entrants to make their choice.

Sean, in Hobbs, back a year or so ago did tell he feels he's not liked on the forums. Sean's a good guy with different ideas that's all. I don't think anyone feels the way he thinks they do as his ideas are always welcome.

I do wish he does put together a well thought out comparison model package for all of us to see and then give our vote to.

Best. Tom #711.