Old December 11th 18, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Concept for Sailplane "racing"

" Each race will include an allowance of electrical energy that the pilot can use whenever he thinks appropriate."

Interesting idea, but this is such a major can of worms I could go on for pages, so will just stop here.

This could also spark a battery "arms race". Now not only would pilots need to fork over the big bucks for the latest and greatest air frame, they would also need to spend big bucks on the biggest, baddest battery available.

"The overall scoring will be based on each pilots elapsed time, similar to the scoring of the famous Tour De France cycle race. Pilots not completing the race will be allocated a time based on the slowest finisher’s time to ensure they will remain in the overall places during the contest."

I like that idea very much. Am I missing downsides to this? Perhaps a waiver could be obtained to try out at a contest.

P9