Old November 18th 04, 01:50 AM
Roy Smith

"Peter Duniho" wrote:
I haven't heard of a GPS unit that allows the user to set some sort of
"offset" from a course to follow, but it wouldn't surprise if such a feature
did exist somewhere.

The CNX-80 / GNS-480 has it. It's called "Parallel Track". You tell it
if you want to fly left or right of course and by how much (in 1/10's of
a mile IIRC), and it invents a new course line for you to follow.

I believe the Apollo GX-60 had it too. The story I heard was the CAP
wanted to buy a bunch of GX-60's, but insisted Apollo add the Parallel
Track feature to facilitate flying grid search patterns.