Old November 18th 04, 04:43 PM

On 18 Nov 2004 07:10:39 -0800,
(Michael) wrote:

wrote
Actually, they don't.
They seem to, because so few are willing to challenge their authority.

Because nothing positive ever happens when you do.

I remember back a few years ago soon after the PTS was changed and
specific holding pattern entries were dropped.

An examiner insisted on the "proper" entry, and failed the task.

He was forced to reverse himself when it was challenged with the FSDO.

So what happened? Was the student issued the rating without further
testing, or did he have to fly another checkride? If the latter, then
what was gained?

Michael

The examiner had agreed that the applicant had "remained in holding
airspace" as called for by the PTS.

He was forced by the FSDO to pass the applicant since the examiner had
essentially agreed that the applicant had met the requirements of the
PTS.

So I must with all due respect reject your statement that "nothing
positive ever happens".

In this case, the applicant was spared the time and expense of another
checkride.

Secondly, the examiner was reminded that the requirements of the PTS
supersede his personal wishes. Other applicants probably benefitted
from this as well.

I would suggest that, for the most part, standing up for your rights
is seldom a bad thing. If nothing else, it makes sleeping at night
easier. At least it does for me. Perhaps not for you, but then it's
your life, after all, and everyone is free to give up whatever rights
he feels are unimportant.

And suffer the consequences, I might add...