Old June 9th 04, 05:52 PM
Peter R.

Jack Allison ) wrote:

Looking for any feedback from folks that had mostly C-172 time (zero
complex and/or RG time) then transitioned to a complex airplane when
you went to buy. What did you transition to?

This past March I transitioned from a C172 to a turbonormalized Bonanza
V35B. In order to do so, I rented and installed a dual yoke, then flew
with a qualified instructor. I logged somewhere around 20 hours with the
instructor before he endorsed me for the high-performance, complex
aircraft.

As a former Cape Air pilot (Northeast US commuter air carrier serving the
Cape Cod region), the instructor who endorsed me is a strong advocate of
the flow process. IOW, each phase of flight (takeoff, climbout, level off,
etc.), requires a cockpit flow. While I used a flow process in the 172, it
was nowhere near as complete nor important as what I now use.

In addition to learning a more complete flow, I also created my own
checklists using the POH as a reference, re-arranging items to follow a
logical flow, where possible. These checklists are much more
comprehensive, yet adhere to the flow that my instructor encouraged.

When I created these new checklists I also took the opportunity to
completely rebuild my cockpit resource management. Prior to flying this
aircraft I used to stuff all of my charts and checklists into the ASA
three-flapped kneeboard. It was never as organized as I wanted. Now, I fly
with a kneeboard-sized three-ringed binder containing dividers for
checklists and appropriate charts. I now carry more information in a much
more organized manner.

Was it a good decision/positive experience?

Very much so. Upon reaching about 50 hours in this aircraft, I began to
feel more comfortable with the workload and now enjoy the greater utility
of the aircraft. IMO, learning something new every year, be it a new
aircraft or a new rating, is important to retaining proficiency and
interest in aviation.

What type of insurance requirements did you face in terms of dual time,
RG experience, etc.?

The 20 hours of dual I received was sufficient for the insurance company.
However, to receive the coverage limits I really want while maintaining an
affordable premium requires somewhere around 200 hours in this aircraft. I
do a lot of flying for Angel Flight so I hope to hit this goal later this
year.

In the fall I also plan on attending a recognized proficiency course,
called the Beechcraft Pilot Proficiency Program recurring training course,
which the insurance company will reward with a premium discount.

Were you instrument rated at the time of transitioning to the complex
aircraft?

Yes.

Do you have a particular complex aircraft in mind? If so, which one?

--
Peter