Old June 9th 04, 07:26 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Jack Allison wrote:
Looking for any feedback from folks that had mostly C-172 time (zero complex
and/or RG time) then transitioned to a complex airplane when you went to
buy. What did you transition to?

I did all of my primary training in C-172s and had mostly C-172 time when
I bought my Piper Comanche (PA-24-260).

Was it a good decision/positive experience?

I wanted a plane to travel with and I'm very happy with it. At first I
was a little uncomfortable because I knew it could bite me harder than
a C-172 -- and if it did it would probably cost me a lot of money! It
didn't take long for me to have more time in that specific plane than any
other specific plane, and then more time in Comanches than C-172s, and
then more time in my Comanche than all other planes.

What type of insurance requirements did you face in terms of
dual time, RG experience, etc.? Were you instrument rated at the time of
transitioning to the complex aircraft?

I wasn't instrument rated, and the insurance company wanted 20 hours of
dual (including 10 instrument) before I solod. At the time I had a handful
(maybe 5) complex and HP.

Since then I finished my instrument rating, did a phase of wings, passed
100 retract/high performance and 100 make and model. I'm hoping this will
add up to a lower premium!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/