Old June 9th 04, 11:08 PM

On 9-Jun-2004, "Jack Allison" wrote:

Looking for any feedback from folks that had mostly C-172 time (zero
complex and/or RG time) then transitioned to a complex airplane when you
went to
buy. What did you transition to? Was it a good decision/positive
experience? What type of insurance requirements did you face in terms of
dual time, RG experience, etc.? Were you instrument rated at the time of
transitioning to the complex aircraft?

Just looking for feedback from folks who may have been down this path.
When
I move down the path toward ownership, the performance of a complex
aircraft suit my flying requirements better so I'm poking around a bit to
get an
idea of costs, issues, insurance requirements, etc. Looking forward to
someday
leaving my first "I bought an airplane" post :-)

TIA!

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, IA Student

While I had a few dozen hours in a C-182 many years ago, all of my recent
flying had been in a C-172 when my partners and I bought our Arrow IV about
8 years ago. At the time, I had zero hrs RG time but well over 1000 TT and
an IR. My partners both had plenty of RG time and IRs (although one had
considerably less TT). Our insurance company required that I get 10 hrs of
dual in the new plane. Insurance costs were reasonable right from the
start. It is my understanding that all named pilots having IR is a big
factor in insurance premiums for complex and/or high performance airplanes.

I have had no problems with the transition. In terms of performance and
economy gain, you get a lot from RG with a relatively modest increase in
airplane complexity.

-Elliott Drucker
--
-Elliott Drucker