Old July 15th 03, 11:25 AM
Roger Long

Jetskis bring up a point applicable to a recent post about the anti plane
noise group in MA.

I, and nearly everyone I've talked with that have been with in a mile of
water, find the noise of jetskis way, way, more objectionable than larger
boats. I don't think it's the noise itself.

Our brains were programmed back when every noise might mean that we had just
been placed on something's menu. Larger boats generally run in a straight
line. The noise increases and decreases. The brain locates it in space and
then tunes it out. Jetskis like to run in manic circles, jumping their
wake. Their operation requires constant throttle changes. Each change in
volume and direction restarts the brains spatial identification, friend or
foe, check. This creates stress.

I suspect that the same thing is true of airplanes. Aerobatics and airwork
are probably much more aggravating to people on the ground than planes
transiting.
Roger Long