Old October 18th 04, 03:20 AM
Bela P. Havasreti

On 17 Oct 2004 16:43:43 -0700, (Lou Parker) wrote:

Can anyone tell me where to find a spreadsheet (fill in the blank) of
the the true cost of ownership. I'm looking at a few aircraft with a
friend and we would like to know what this is going to cost. I'm
trying to figure fuel, insurance, mait., etc..

How much money will it take to own/operate an [insert type
of aircraft here]? Answer is easy... All of it!

All kidding aside, it seems you have to operate a typical light
aircraft around a 100+ hours per year before it makes pure economical
sense to own vs rent. I operate around 200 hours per year
and burn 1600 or so gallons of gas doing it (lately, at $3 bucks
per gallon). The insurance is around $1K per year. The maintenance
costs are nil, as I do all the work on my airplane under the
supervision of my IA. I spend maybe $500 - $1000 per year
on parts/supplies/consumables. When you do the math, my direct
operating costs (not counting engine overhaul or other reserves) is
$34 per hour (this is for a 1954 Cessna 170B). The per hour operating
cost looks very appealing when you operate 200+ hours per year, but
you have to be able to belly up to the bar and ante up for all that
gas money, etc.

Be that as it may, there are some of us out here who don't care how
much it costs. It's in our blood, we can't live without it, so we pay
the bills and go flying. Life is short and then you die. Try to have
some fun along the way!

Bela P. Havasreti

PS: Sorry I don't have a link for the spreadsheet you're
after.