Old August 7th 06, 11:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave Doe

Default Wire Strike Info

In article . com,
says...

Owen wrote:
Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:

In my 50+ years of flying, I've hit at least 18 wires and logged them
in aerial application operations with no resulting crashes.

How did the wires make out?

Owen
Most of them seperated as a result of the wire strike protection kits
installed. Sure didn't make them any less scary though! One or two of
them simply stretched and then slipped off with a big sag between the
supports. The VAST majority were simple electric service wires going to
houses, or barns, or well pumps, and a few telephone wires tossed in.
Some barbed wire from a fence that finally broke off after the gear
shook it loose.
Fortunately no steel guy wires to cut off my wings or rotor blades but
the one I hit at night was a steel horizontal support wire between two
poles. The wire chattered off the blade and left chipped paint marks on
the leading edge and back about 2-3". That one scared crap out of me
and I was really lucky to get it back on the ground without a blade
blowing up after the tip cap was nearly torn off. Blades had to be
replaced but were nearly out of time anyway. I still shake my head
looking at the photos of that one!
Ol S&B
BTW I am not all that unusual with the wire strikes or numbers as a
long time pilot in aerial application. Common for nearly all of us but
with greatly varying results/outcomes.
Same with bird strikes. I've had hundreds of them including more than a
few that came into the cockpit with me.

What is the deal with the farmers (or whoever) that should have pointed
out all the 'obstacles' to you when you do your breifing with them? Do
you do your naanaa or what?

--
Duncan