Old November 24th 08, 05:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Gig 601Xl Builder

Default Pretensioning cables

cavelamb himself wrote:
Morgans wrote:
"Gig 601Xl Builder" wrote

Yep 6061T6. BUT the problem isn't showing itself in the rudder cables
it is in the ailerons.

Wood wings, or metal?

The 601s are all aluminum.
Zodiac designed by Chris Heinz.

Break

Gig, you better dig into that.

It sounds like something has "adjusted" it's position.
It might innocent, but you need to know for sure WHY the change.

My next door neighbor on the airport built an 601-HDS.
It looked pretty solid.

The cables just are not long enough to show any significant stretch.
Not at 40 pounds tension.

Check for a loose pivot point?
Or a bent support?

Or?

Or the cable ends! Thimbles in place?
Have they changed shape any at all?

Check the nicopress collars with a go/no go gage?

Any detectable wear in the connection tangs?

Does this airplane have the hingless aileron hinges?
(Althought I seem to think there was a pushrod to the aileron)

You are right and it could be any of those things but as I mentioned
this hasn't happened yet to my yet to be completed airplane so as I
mentioned I don't have access and the people who have mentioned the
problem SAY they don't see any problems. And you also right that there
is a short push rod between the bell crank and the aileron.