Old September 28th 18, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Glider crash near Reno yesterday

Unfortunately positive G is positive whether you're upside down or right
side up.Â* In the inverted position you'll have the benefit of the
earth's gravity subtracting 1 G from the total, but getting over the
cockpit rail from the semi reclined position in the cockpit will still
be very difficult.Â* On the positive side, at the top of the loop, the G
from the climb.Â* In the actual situation I don't know if one would
recognize this and plan his bail out at the top of the loop.Â* Most
glider pilots have no experience with aerobatics or high G situations...

On 9/28/2018 2:05 AM, wrote:
Years ago my brother was involved in a midair collision in his ventus. The other glider ran into his elevator jamming it into a full up position. The ship took him for a series of high speed loops with him attempting to eject. The G load prevented the canopy from seperating, my bro was able to get his feet free to kick out the canopy and get over the side. Speaking with him after the fact, he said if he had to do it again, he would have tried to aileron roll so the G load would have ejected him instead of pinning him in the cockpit.

--
Dan, 5J