Old August 10th 20, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default wing tape

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 4:59:39 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 6:59:22 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 2:26:29 PM UTC-7, AS wrote:
On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 1:04:44 AM UTC-4, Ben Hirashima wrote:
I've been using the wing tape sold by Craggy, but I'm not happy with it. It's very stretchy, which is good, but it sinks into the gaps that it's covering, which sort of defeats the purpose. Do the Bowlus or 3M tapes sink into the gap?

Ben - if the tape is 'sinking into the gaps', especially when going around the leading edge, you may have stretched it too much before applying it to the surface. After unrolling a length, just stick the first inch or so into the surface and wait for the vinyl to contract again, then apply it without a lot of pull-force.
BTW - take a look at https://www.tapedepot.com/ If it comes on a roll and is sticky on at least one side, they have it. As far as the white vinyl goes, the quality is at least that of the 3M brand but they sell it for way less. They even carry special sizes like 1" or 2" or the textile tape used on the rudder. Look for 'Gaffer Tape'.

Uli
'AS'

Gaffers tape is a polyurethane over a cloth laminate and may not stretch the way you require.

Richard

Where does it need to stretch? Not stretching is the whole point!

Uli
'AS'

When the wing flexes the tape can be stretched repeatedly a small amount. And a tape's ability to stretch is reduced when exposed to cold temperatures of high altitude. After having the glider assembled for weeks at a time I see splits in even the excellent 3M electricians' tape I use.

Tom