Old August 10th 20, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Hirashima

Default wing tape

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 8:17:11 AM UTC-7, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
Ben,

About your comment that, "...but it sinks into the gaps that it's covering, which sort of defeats the purpose." Why do you feel that the tape sinking into the gap between the wing root and the fuselage is something to be avoided?

To me the main purpose of wing tape is to seal the gap against air intrusion, not necessarily to continue the wing's airfoil without deformation. It seems that all wing tape "sinks" to one extent or another.

My $0.02.

If the main purpose of wing tape is to seal against air intrusion, that problem could be better solved with a simple rubber gasket where the wing joins the fuselage.

It's just common sense that you would not want any departures from a smooth surface at the wing root. If you want to claim that it doesn't make a difference aerodynamically, then show me the data.