Old April 24th 08, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Default The ethanol nightmare has arrived!

wrote in :

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 05:33:30 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

wrote in
m:

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 19:41:39 -0700, Al
wrote:

I just happened to see a sticker on a fuel pump today that stated
"may contain up to 10% ethanol" while I was filling my car this
morning.

Man, what state is that far behind the times?
Here in Michigan they started doing that IIRC in the late 70's. Now
they no longer tell you whether the fuel has alcohol in it or not.
The sticker only says meets standard such and such.

In the 70s it was being called "Gasahol" and was from a seperate,
labeled pump.

Although they called E10 Gasohol, here in Michigan there were no
separate pumps. Typically there was a sticker that said the gas
contained 10% Alcohol. Some stations IIRC did still offer
"uncontaminated gas" in a separate pump or pumps. I don't remember
ever seeing a serrate pump for the Gasohol locally. However I don't
claim to have an infallible memory. Seems like I was wrong one
time...don't remember why though.

Hmm, mebbe. I was in living in Michigan at the time but i can't remember
if they had it seperate there or not, now you mention it, they
definitely did in other states. I remember clearly seeing the pic of a
corn cob on the pump. IIRC it was also a bit more expensive. I also
remembver it filled your fuel filter with crap almost instantly. Had to
change three or four of them in my car before it cleared up.

Bertie