Old October 21st 17, 05:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Cup holder

Some day, over a beer, I'll tell everyone the Legend of Charlie
PeePee...Â* Many Black Forest pilots who have flown at Creede will know
what I'm talking about.

On 10/20/2017 3:07 PM, wrote:
At an important contest many years ago--before we all started using flexible water containers with drinking tubes--my mother/crew prepared my sandwich (this was also WAY before energy bars) and a 16 oz. Tupperware cup with a plastic snap-on lid full of Coke and ice cubes. I wedged it down by my side to keep it upright.

I almost lost it at 5,000 ft. on course when B-O-O-O-O-M!!!!--the top blew off from the combined effects of carbonation and reduced air pressure. OK, maybe it only seemed that loud because there was no warning. In any case, Coke went everywhe on me, on the cockpit walls, on the instrument panel, but mostly up on the inside of the canopy. Try wiping off sugary soda with the paper napkin that was previously wrapped around a peanut butter sandwich.

Yeah, I can see the utility of cup holders, but only if they have some sort of safety lock.

Chip Bearden

--
Dan, 5J