Old October 4th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

Default Logging time as a CFI

buttman wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:
The only thing I found relevant was:

§ 61.51(e) (3) An authorized instructor may log as pilot-in-command
time all flight time while acting as an authorized instructor.

which is not me because I am (AFAIK) not "authorized" to give
instruction to that CFII (who is actually the one giving me
instruction).

But you missed...
61.51(e)(1)
(1) A sport, recreational, private, or commercial pilot may log
pilot-in-command time only for that flight time during which that
person-
(i) Is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which
the pilot is rated or has privileges;

If you are rated in the plane and you are sole manipulator ( I assume
you are while working on your CFII), you log PIC.

And I was pretty sure the multi thing was a no-no. I just thought I'd
get clarification. I know for a fact there has been people who logged
PIC time while they were getting their private, which would fall under
the same issue.

You can log PIC as a student pilot when you are by yourself in the
plane...

(4) A student pilot may log pilot-in-command time only when the student
pilot-
(i) Is the sole occupant of the aircraft or is performing the duties of
pilot of command of an airship requiring more than one pilot flight
crewmember;
(ii) Has a current solo flight endorsement as required under §61.87 of
this part; and
(iii) Is undergoing training for a pilot certificate or rating.

Also, would you mind telling me whats so disturbing about a CFI asking
a question like this? Would you rather I just guess?

I figured that if you were certified to teach students about logging
PIC, you would have covered this at some point in your past. I assume
you've been keeping a log book all this time. Its kind of like asking
"I'm a new CFI and trying to figure out why planes stall". Also, since
the answer to the questions you asked are all in 61.51(e) I would
expect you to have seen them. Its not like you were asking something
vague that isn't covered well by the regs, this stuff is pretty
straight forward. Maybe you just missed logging PIC, but these
questions seem pretty fundamental.

-Robert, CFII