Old August 14th 10, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Alaska Crashes Should Serve To Remind All Pilots That Mother Nature Is Always In Char

Mxsmanic wrote:
Morgans writes:

In this crash I wonder if there was any avionics on board that displays
terrain warnings, even a handhelt PDA type that causes terrain in conflict
to show up red on the display. I would think there would be a strong desire
for Alaska pilots to have a handheld terrain warning or better, because of
the frequency of mountaintops getting obscured with fog, and the general
ruggedness of the terrain they have to deal with on a day by day basis.

Perhaps a good idea ... but proper terrain-warning operation requires a
completely accurate database. I'm not so sure that databases for the Alaskan
wilderness are that accurate. And relying on terrain warnings with an
inaccurate database might be worse than not having terrain warnings at all.

Seems like a reasonable post so far, but wait for it...

Another potential problem is that terrain warning systems are designed to keep
you out of harm's way, but for some pilots there might be a tendency to use
them to see how much they can get away with.

And there it is; the dispargement of real pilots by the MSFS dork.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.