Old August 1st 03, 04:09 AM
S. Sampson

"Pete" wrote

As far as a 'failed leader...sometimes, there is nothing you can do.

We had the "Commanders 10% Club." If you got to within 10% of
your max weight, you reported to the Gym 3 days a week (even
deployed to Iceland, Bolivia, or Saudi). and then you did aerobics for
an hour, or we jogged at least 1.5 miles after calisthenics. I think it
was a great idea, and very popular. The only excuse was mission
planning or flying. I have an idea that that is what Jumper has in mind
for leadership. That is, the squadron will focus on programs to make
exercise part of the everyday life of today's Airmen.

We had a lot of racket-ball types in the squadron, and I think the
number of people who were on the fat boy/girl program could be
counted on one hand. The rule was, that if you were on the program,
then you were ineligible for promotion, and re-enlistment. I know of
one guy who got booted at 18 years when the commander refused to
let him re-enlist. He never showed up at the 10% club meetings, and
failed to lose weight. His supervisor was nowhere to be found, and
it's these guys, who I think that Jumper wants to get rid of as well.

In my day, exercise was a personal responsibility, and failure meant
that you were personally defective, even if the squadron had no
aerobic programs, or culture of physical training. I don't think
Jumper wants to go back to that, from what I read.