Old March 3rd 18, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
David Sherrill

Default Towing trailer and glider with a honda civic

In 2017 the hybrid Toyota Rav4 had a higher tow capacity.
Slightly. The ordinary Rav4 was rated 1500 lbs; the hybrid 1750.

Those are USA ratings. Meanwhile, Toyota's UK web site claimed 3000 lbs for the ordinary Rav4.

...david

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 10:54:13 AM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Now that OP has made his decision, I'll drift the thread with this towing tidbit...

I looked into towing with a hybrid. There is an issue with overheating of the electric motors on long grades. The 'recommended tow weights' are much lower for the hybrid version of the same model vehicle. I'd guess that part of the issue is that the same motors are used for 'regenerative braking' on the downgrades, so they don't get a chance to cool off.