Old September 10th 11, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rob Brown

Default oldest pilots

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 at 18:48 -0700, Ken wrote:

Al Santilli was born on May 28, 1914. At 91, almost 92, he is still
active, regularly flying his Libelle out of Moriarty, New Mexico.
(He's been soaring since he was 16 in 1930.) I'm trying to find out
if he is the oldest currently active soaring pilot in America. If
anyone knows of an active pilot who is of the same vintage or older,
please let me know. (Or anyone in another country, for that matter).

Certainly a contemporary of my old instructor Hugh McColeman
(coincidentally also a Libelle owner).

Hugh was born March 11, 1914 and passed away April 5, 2010. Towards
the end he commented that it was a shame to leave in the prime of
life.

A June 2007 newspaper article said he flew as pilot in 2005, but not
in 2006. I have no idea what he did in 2007 and later so perhaps he
was not active as late as Mr. Santilli. Hugh was Edmonton Soaring
Club president in 2005 and was awarded a life membership in 1992.

--

Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)