Old April 30th 17, 10:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

Default Cheap Glider Trailer Refinish

At 07:02 30 April 2017, Mike C wrote:
On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 12:14:21 AM UTC-6,

wrote:
Thanks Mike!=20
=20
What primer did you use? And I know we don't have the exact trailer but

h=
ow much did you use, if you rememember of course...=20
=20
Thanks again!

I applied two coats, one per day for two days, and used around one gallon
I=
think when mixed with their thinner. I did not use a primer, it is an

old
=
fiberglass trailer that did not need it. The existing finish had worn
evenl=
y partway through and you could just see a bit of the glass fibers
sparklin=
g in the sun. I cleaned it well before painting it. Your metal trailer
will=
need a primer though if you strip it down to bare metal. Check for
primer=
s in the posted Jamestown link. =20

BTW I met a pilot once that used this type of one part polyurethane on a
sa=
ilplane that turned out really nice. I do not remember if he used a
roller=
though.

Having painted the trailer again you are always at the mercy of the weather
and will have to do it again later and so on.
Have you thought of removing all of the existing paint and allow a layer of
aluminium oxide to form which in itself is a protection.
Similar to copper or lead.

Mike