Old January 16th 04, 03:24 PM

"Sprag clutch" might have been more understandable. Presumably we are
talking about a simultaneous sprag and engine failure. A locked sprag
alone won't down a helicopter.

The scorpion's main clutch engagement is mechanical rather than
electrical. Should the sprag and engine fail simultaneously, the main
engine clutch can be disengaged in less than one second. I don't know
if this would be soon enough, but the 2 minutes that electric clutches
take is most likely too long.

Getting back to the scorpion. It would seem that nobody here has any
concrete facts regarding any serious safety flaws other than the short
landing gear. We (I) have discussed several items that could be
designed better, but nothing was a serious safety issue. The older
scorpion design is apparently high maintenance, but still safe.

Dennis H.

"Bob" wrote:

When a "clutch" (freewheeling unit) locks up, your rotor stops turning.

Bob

Dennis Hawkins
n4mwd AT amsat DOT org (humans know what to do)

"A RECESSION is when you know somebody who is out of work.
A DEPRESSION is when YOU are out of work.
A RECOVERY is when all the H-1B's are out of work."

To find out what an H-1B is and how Congress is using
them to put Americans out of work, visit the following
web site and click on the "Exporting America" CNN news
video: http://zazona.com/ShameH1B/MediaClips.htm