Old September 23rd 05, 12:49 PM

: one. Red light makes reading charts and LCD-based too hard to read for
: me. Also, it makes no sense to me to use red light when the instrument
: lights are white anyway. The human eye is most sensitive to green light,
: so you need less of it to make things visible.

My aircraft has red cabin illumination, but with the dimmer it can be turned
*way* down. Between that and the tiny green LED light, you can even make out some
semblance of color.

I think I read somewhere that the red/green debate is that red light damages
night vision the least. That's a fact. Turns out, what's more important to
preserving night vision is the *amount* of light. Since the eye is most sensitive to
green, it can be at a lower level than red and still be useful.

My completely anecdotal experiences have bourne this out.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *