Old August 23rd 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

Default Getting an A&P license

Jester wrote:
wrote:
I emailed Jim Wier of Kitplanes and ask about getting an A&P
license since he is a college professor and A&P and IA. Jim was kind
enough to answer all my questions, but ask me to bring the topic to
this group.

The VoTech programs beat the hell out of the grossly overpriced
commercial schools with much better instruction, but the best way is
the Experience method. This requires 30 months, at 40 hrs/wk X 4 weeks
X 30 months of work. It does need to be under the supervision of an A&P
Mechanic. It must be on aircraft intended for flight (which crimps
museum programs) but sometimes the FAA allows spacecraft or UAV
experience and sometimes not. I have had people say the FAA disallowed
experience on Space Shuttle and some others got their ticket on that
program. I know an oldtimer that was at McDonnell Douglas in the
Mercury /Gemini days and said they accepted that along with Phantom
line experience.

Few homebuilts require 5000 hours actual work....but I think if you
build a homebuilt under the supervision of an A&P you may count what
time you do spend. I have received conflicting reports.