Old August 28th 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_1_]

Default glider trailer Q

Steve Leonard wrote:
Wonder what kind of 'low rider' trailer you are running
that cannot get a bottle jack under the side of it
with a flat tire on the trailer? Or maybe you needed
to buy a smaller bottle jack?

Sorry, I wasn't clear about the problem. If the tire is flat, I can't
get the bottle jack under the axle, like I could when it was sitting in
the driveway with a good tire. So, I can put it under the side of the
trailer. Oops! The jack doesn't raise the trailer high enough to get the
spare on the axle, because the spring relaxes as I jack up the trailer
side and I run out of jack extension before the axle is very high. At
least, that's the way it goes with my Cobra trailer. I'm sure it depends
on the details of the axle, tire size, and springs.

A scissors jack will still fit under the axle when the tire is flat, so
that's what I carry.

Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA

www.motorglider.org - Download "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane
Operation"