Old November 25th 03, 10:32 PM
Ron Natalie

"Windecks" wrote in message . ..
On an IFR proficiency flight with my partner the other day, we got into a
little debate about the best way to use the Garmin 430 for ATC position
reporting. He uses the cursor on the map page to point at an airport or
NAVAID, then reads out the distance and (reciprocal) bearing. I go to NRST,
and pick an airport or VOR which have continually updated distance and
bearing. For those 430/530 users out there, which way do you prefer?

For IFR, you should use the reporting points called out on the charts (or
implied by the rules).

For VFR, I use a NRST VOR. On the 195, the NRST FREQ gives you the
closest center frequency as well as telling you the offset to the nearest VOR.